- Unsubscribe Groups Overview
- Creating a Custom Unsubscribe Group and Adding Customers to It
- Using Unsubscribe Groups in Email Communications
Unsubscribe Groups Overview #
What Are Unsubscribe Groups and Why Are They Used? #
Unsubscribe groups in Retainly serve as a way to follow the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in the way that you can provide a possibility for your customers to manage their preferences for receiving different types of emails. This allows you to automate this process; once the user chooses not to receive emails from a specific group, Retainly will automatically exclude such customers from any newsletter that falls in that group. Also, you have the possibility to create as many custom groups as needed.
Default Unsubscribe Groups #
By default, Retainly offers two types of unsubscribe groups:
- Marketing: This group consists of customers who have unsubscribed from receiving marketing emails.
- Transactional: This group includes customers who have opted out of transactional emails, such as order confirmations and account notifications.
Creating a Custom Unsubscribe Group and Adding Customers to It #
Creating a Custom Unsubscribe Group #
If you find the need to offer more tailored unsubscribe options to your customers, Retainly allows the creation of custom unsubscribe groups. Here are the steps to create a new group:
1. Navigate to Sidebar -> Customers -> Unsubscribe Groups.
2. Click the Create button.
3. In the prompted field, give your new group a name and click the Create button again.
Note: Make sure to give your group an appropriate name as it will be visible to your customers. You can always edit the name later if needed.
Adding Customers to a Custom Unsubscribe Group #
After you’ve successfully created a custom unsubscribe group, you’ll land on the group’s page. Here you can:
1. Provide a description for the unsubscribe group, which will be visible to customers contemplating whether to opt-out.
2. Manually add customers to the group. To do this:
- Click the Add Customer CTA (Call to Action).
- Choose a field by which you want to add customer(s) to the group: Email, ID, or phone number.
- Enter the information for each customer you wish to add. For multiple customers, separate their data with commas.
Using Unsubscribe Groups in Email Communications #
How to Mark Emails with a Specific Group #
When you’re crafting an email template, you’ll notice an Email Group Selector at the top of the editor. You can use this to specify which unsubscribe group should be associated with the email you’re sending. You can choose from either the default groups, like Marketing and Transactional, or select one of your custom-created groups.
How to Add Unsubscribe Links to Emails #
While creating an email template:
1. Navigate to General Attributes -> Subscription Tab.
2. Here, you’ll see three types of links you can include:
- Unsubscribe Link: Upon clicking this link, the customer will unsubscribe from the group selected when creating the email template.
- Subscribe Link: Clicking this link allows the customer to subscribe to the group that was chosen during the email template creation.
- Global Unsubscribe Link: This link presents customers with a choice to unsubscribe from specific groups, including Marketing, Transactional, and any custom groups you’ve created.
3. Click copy near the required link type.
4. And paste it into the required part of email.
By understanding and implementing these functionalities, you can make the most out of Retainly’s unsubscribe groups, leading to more satisfied customers and a more effective email marketing strategy.